Sunday, June 05, 2005

Courage in marriage

Many of my friends were awed when they found out I was married for two years. Knowing me, marriage is probably the last association they would make, so getting married really early compared to the guys at my year really was a time stopper.
I don't mind, I really don't. Knowing myself, it still is hard to believe. Still, I didn't make the decision unconsciously, or being held at gun point. It was sound and firm, moreover it was my decision.
That said, being married takes a lot of effort. You take away your usual getting used to, the thought that you have a life partner sometimes caught me gasping for air. Did I miss something? I have this incredible will power to withold any situation so far when I want to pull my hair off, take a deep breath and feel sorry for the person on the other side, my wife. We often discuss of how being married is not about getting the right person but how much the willingness to hold on is, as well as the effort to resolve any conflicts.
More times I found myself looking at my hands, asking myself how did I get these "powers"? How did I become this person with such intense love toward a person greater than to myself? How did I resolve myself to blend in with her amazing and wonderful family?
I still have the usual time of fights, wanting things my way and this-is-my-stuff-so-get-your-hands-off, acting like a kid I am, but when the time comes, I am.. a husband, and sometimes.. an uncle.
I've prepared myself with six years of psychology and I still can't explain myself.
..cept 'course, I got hit really hard in the head while I was asleep and had my personality added or altered :)
Marriage life is definately not for everybody, but it's certainly for me.

1 comment:

Kikie said...

Tedi!

Love this little writing..

I hope someday I could find a person that made me say, marriage is definitely for me! :D

Happy for You!